History of the Practice
Coyle and Lance Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery proudly continues serving the patients of central Missouri for over 60 years.
In 1954, Dr. Charles Kohler opened the doors of the first Oral Surgery practice in central Missouri. The original office was located on Eighth St. in the Guitar Building of downtown Columbia. After completing his residency specialty training at the University of Minnesota, Dr. Thomas E. Coyle joined Dr. Kohler in 1974. The partners moved the office to 3015 S. Providence Rd. in 1981, at that time considerably “south of town”. After providing care for the patients of central Missouri for 29 years, Dr. Kohler retired in 1983 and continued to reside in Columbia until his passing in 2010. Dr. John A. Johnson retired from the Army and replaced Dr. Kohler as partner in 1985 at which time the practice assumed its current name. Dr. Timothy T. Coyle joined the practice in 2003 following completion of a dual degree residency tract at the University of Texas – Houston Health Science Center. More recently, Dr. John C. Lance has joined the practice in the summer of 2014 following the retirement of Dr. Tom Coyle a few months earlier. Dr. Lance became a full partner in December 2015 following the retirement of Dr. Johnson at the end of November. The office remains at the same address now for over 30 years, but underwent expansion and remodeling of the interior office space in 2004 and continues to maintain modern technology and equipment since that time, including moving to an Electronic Medical Record in 2009, well ahead of government mandates.